Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cherry Tomato Chutney

I had started looking for a recipe early on in tomato season when dads veges patch had gone wild with tomatoes so much so that we had started giving away literally hundreds of tomatoes away to friends. Having found this recipe I am sorry that I had not found it sooner and think of the supply of this delicious chutney we could have built up.

Having made this chutney once before last week and not taken any photos I have made it again today to share. Let me assure you though, that this was the first time I had made chutney or anything remotely similar and not only was it easy it was a complete success and has been demolished by the family in a week!

It has been raining all day and after looking after my cute little cousin this morning I set about chopping up the tomatoes to make another batch of this much loved chutney. Tomorrow I will have to make more sweet potato and zucchini fritters as I am sure that will be the next thing that is requested to accompany this fresh batch.

This will make 3.5 cups of chutney
You will need:

380g Caster Sugar

750mls Cider Vinegar

2tbs Fresh Ginger- Minced

3tbs Balsamic Vinegar

2.5 tsp Salt

1.5tsp Caraway Seeds

.5tsp Dried Chili Flakes

1.3kg Cherry Tomatoes- Chopped into Quarters

3 Onions- Finely Chopped


Grab a nice big saucepan, all the ingredients are going to end up in the one pot to make sure you can fit all the tomatoes in.

I'm using a gas stove so you will need to adjust the timing if you are using something else.


In your large saucepan combine the sugar, vinegar, ginger, salt, caraway seeds, chili and balsamic vinegar and bring to the boil until the sugar is dissolved.



Add the tomatoes and onions and simmer for about 1.5 hours or until thickened.


This will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 weeks, or if you would like to give it as gifts pop the chutney in some sterilized jars.
Absolutely delish with Chicken, Beef, Veges and of course the much loved Sweet potato and Zucchini fritters!

No comments:

Post a Comment